Nothing says summer like a burger and a beer, right? YUM!
OK, let’s dive right in…to the appys. One of my favorite things on the planet is Beer & Cheese Soup, so when I saw that on the menu I was a happy camper. It’s a light beer soup with garlic, fresh thyme, provolone, Swiss and a Parmesan sourdough crisp. It was so delicious….the only thing I would say here is that it was served in a shallow bowl so it will cool down quickly. Don’t wait on anyone else to get their food…just dive right in to that soup!
Other special appetizers include:
- The Red Devils—house-made deviled eggs, spicy horseradish, fresh herbs, dijonnaise and toasty Parmesan
- Loaded Burbank “Skins”—Marlow’s version of classic potato skins, with mozzarella, provolone, applewood-smoked bacon, parslied oil and horseradish cream
I went with the Classic Burger Dip, which is Marlow’s classic burger BUT it is enhanced with thinly sliced prime rib, Swiss cheese, caramelized onions, romaine lettuce and a Roma tomato on a toasted onion bun. OMG. It was great! I loved using that onion bun to soak up bits of my leftover soup!
Other burger specials you want to try:
- Naked Chicken Burger—all-natural Joyce Farms ground chicken, mozzarella, provolone, baby arugula, Roma tomato and red onion on a toasted pretzel bun
- Black & Blue Burger—topped with creamy Gorgonzola and applewood-smoked bacon on a toasted sesame brioche bun
PLUS, they have a rotating Burger of the Day, which will probably be one of the following:
- “Chicken Fried” Steak Burger – Marlow’s perfectly seasoned Classic Burger, crispy chicken fried steak, pimento cheese, romaine, Roma tomato, red onion on a toasted ciabatta roll (pictured above)
- Colorado Lamb Burger – Grove Farms domestic lamb, oregano, grilled merguez sausage, feta cheese, arugula, tomato, onion, crisp cucumber on a toasted onion bun
- Royale with Cheese – waygu beef seared perfectly, stacked with American cheese and pickles on buttery brioche
OK – the best part, right?
I went for the Wild Heaven Emergency Drinking Beer because I love this local business, and it is low on alcohol (we were dining for lunch!) Here’s the scoop according to their website: A one-of-a-kind session beer reminiscent of a crisp pilsner married with a traditional gose. Brightness and complexity come from additions of citrus zest, Portuguese sea salt and lemongrass.
Other beer pairings for your burger include:
- Oskar Blues Pinner Throwback IPA—a drinkable IPA that uses eight varieties of hops, with tropical fruits, citrus juices and spice berry
- Sierra Nevada Otra Vez—light and thirst-quenching with tangy fruit
- Eventide Kölsch Ale—light and refreshing, with a crisp finish
- Red Hare Radler SPF—a light, refreshing blend of Gangway IPA and our house-brewed sparkling grapefruit soda
- Westbrook One Claw Rye – a rye pale ale with a heavy handful of malted rye and our favorite hop varieties
This Burgers & Brews celebration also includes the Seventh Annual Marlow’s Tavern Grilling Recipe Contest. Grill-masters are encouraged to submit their own original grilling recipe for the opportunity to compete for a coveted Big Green Egg. Second place wins a $200 Marlow’s Tavern gift card, and third place scores a $100 gift card.
Entries are accepted at marlowstavern.com through July 31. John Metz (executive chef and co-founder) will review and judge all recipes, then announce the winners with a party at the Dunwoody location on Saturday, September 10. Everyone is invited to attend and taste test their way through the finalists’ dishes.
Last but not least, social media-savvy visitors can vie to win a $100 gift card via Marlow’s Big Burger Bite contest. Guests should post pictures of themselves taking a big bite out of a Marlow’s burger and use the hashtag #MarlowsBurgerBite on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter to enter.
The Bottom Line
Go soon, get the beer and cheese soup, and your favorite burger (which might include chicken or lamb!) It’s delicious…and don’t forget to snap a photo for the chance to win $100 GC!